WE'RE KEENER THAN EVER TO HELP YOU GET GREENER!
And we're not just talking about the rainforest or the cool waters of Lake Wabby - one of the island's most visited barrage lakes. The following programs and tips can help you deliver cleaner and greener events with us on Fraser Island.
Kingfisher Bay Resort – incorporating the Mercure Kingfisher Bay Resort Hotel – has recently implemented the acclaimed Mercure Meetings Carbon Neutral Conference program and joined a community of like-minded businesses to combat climate change and reduce greenhouse emissions.
- Think about preparing environmental guidelines for your meetings and share with everyone involved in the conference.
- Look at your energy use and find ways to cut or offset it. If you're travelling, choose companies with green policies and lead by example.
- Make sure the venue is a right fit in terms of your delegate numbers, duration, size of venue and the number of rooms required.
- Don't just print collateral - ask delegates to be green and read information on their computer screens. Also avoid unnecessary packaging and plastic - chose natural materials if you have gift bags.
- Give preference to venues who have adopted environmental best practice - those that incorporate natural lighting and ventilation and commitment to waste reduction.
- Ask your venue for recycling bins for delegates and work with them to turn off lights and air-conditioning and a/v equipment when not needed. Ask yourself do you need air-con on during set up and pack down?
- Pick a venue within walking distance to your meeting/conference or event.
- Use water jugs rather than disposable water bottles and think about recycling or reusing name badges.
- Educate your delegates about the environment with interesting speakers! Ask us about arranging some Fraser Island experts!
- Use recycled paper - or at least use both sides of the paper - then dispose of thoughtfully. Better yet, ask for a special recycling bin in your meeting room.
- Choose activities that minimise environmental impact.
- Suggest a communal activity that does something good for the environment or one that helps you learn more about it.